The city’s social media platforms are intended to be "family friendly.” The primary goals of the city’s use of social media are to increase public awareness of the city’s programs, policies and services and to maintain open, professional and responsive communications with members of the public regarding the city.
The city recognizes and appreciates the rights of all members of our online community to free speech and freedom of expression. Administrators regularly monitor the city’s social media sites and all comments posted to them.
City administered social media accounts are not meant for comments that do not directly relate to the purpose or topic of the social media website, page, or post. Social media is intended to be used for informational purposes only.
If a user wishes to contact the City Commission, city administration or request a service, the user should visit the city of Gainesville’s official website at gainesvillefl.gov for more information.
The following is prohibited on all city maintained social media pages:
- The use of obscene, crude, defamatory, threatening, sexually indecent, or harassing language
- Personal attacks of any kind or offensive comments that advocate unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, physical, or mental disability
- Comments or content advocating for, or depicting, illegal activity
- Personally identifiable information such as social security numbers and dates of birth
- Material of a sexually indecent nature
- Commercial solicitations unless on behalf of the city
- Statements that endanger public health, safety, and security or statements that encourage, provide advice for, or solicit the commission of a criminal act
- Content that violates intellectual property or copyright laws or posting of material that violates copyrights or trademarks of others
- Promotion or advertisement of a business or commercial transaction
City maintained social media sites and pages are a public forum. Any content posted is subject to public records retention and disclosure pursuant to Florida law.
Opinions expressed by visitors to this page do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the city, nor the opinions of any of the city’s elected officials or employees.