The Historic Thomas Center
Considered Gainesville's cultural center, the Historic Thomas Center is housed in a beautifully restored Mediterranean Revival-style hotel. The Thomas Center is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and contains art galleries, 1920's period rooms, local history exhibits, performance space, banquet rooms, and meeting rooms. The Thomas Center is surrounded by the lovely Thomas Center Gardens and the Grace and Sidney Knight Children's Theatre. The center is the site of a variety of art exhibits and musical programs. The Thomas Center (Building A) is located at 302 NE 6th Ave. Learn more about the Thomas Center's history.
Bo Diddley Plaza
The beautiful Bo Diddley Community Plaza is located at 111 E. University Ave. on the corner of Southeast First Street and East University Avenue in the heart of downtown Gainesville. It is available for concerts, festivals, church gatherings and more throughout the year; offering a covered stage as well as a picnic and park area. It was renamed in 2008, after the death of a local treasure - legendary rock & roll singer, guitarist and songwriter, Bo Diddley. Please visit the new website at www.BoDiddleyPlaza.com.
”This Wondrous Place” is located at 401 SE 21st Avenue, Gainesville, Florida. Evergreen Cemetery was established as a private cemetery in 1856. The City of Gainesville assumed ownership in 1944 and it remains the only municipal cemetery in Gainesville. This historic site also functions as an outdoor museum with stories of local historic developmental importance unfolding at every turn on over 50 acres of land. In addition to the thousands of people to come to Evergreen to attend funerals, the cemetery also attracts visitors with interests in genealogy, tombstone art, photography and native plant material. When visiting the cemetery, guests and patrons can utilize a wonderful cell phone tour that details the lives of historic figures from the area. Learn more at www.ThisWondrousPlace.org.
A. Quinn Jones Museum & Cultural Center
In 1923, A. Quinn Jones became the first principal of Lincoln High School. Affectionately known as “Prof” Jones, this innovative educator steadfastly believed that his graduates deserved the opportunity to earn a full high school diploma. After years of hard work, “Prof” Jones developed Lincoln High School into the second fully accredited African-American high school in the state of Florida.
In recognition of his accomplishments, the U.S. Secretary of the Interior listed the home of A. Quinn Jones in the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. The A. Quinn Jones Museum and Cultural Center is a tribute to a man who dedicated his life to increasing access to and improving the quality of the education available to the African-American community in Florida. The Museum houses and exhibit on "Prof" Jones, changing exhibits, lectures, inside the Museum and live music and events on the newly added outdoor patio. Learn more about the A. Quinn Jones Museum & Cultural Center
Rosa B Williams Center/352artspace
The Rosa B Williams Center is a participatory arts space. The center features a gallery space, floating dance floor, a percussive dance floor and a total of four rooms available for lessons, classes and events offered by participatory arts groups. The center is built on the site of the Union Academy, a historical African-American school established in 1865, which served the community for almost 60 years. For rental information, please contact Thomas Center events staff, at 352-393-8539 or email@example.com.
Tench Building Artist Studios
The Cultural Affairs Division manages this facility in the downtown area to accommodate six local artists' studio spaces and the Sweetwater Print Cooperative at nominal monthly rental fees. The studios host several open houses throughout the year. The Tench Building is located at 115 S. Main Street. For more information or to submit rental applications, please contact Thomas Center events staff, at 352-393-8539 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wilhelmina Johnson Resource Center
Through dance and neighborhood programs, this community center serves as a resource for arts and civic organizations. The center is located at 321 NW 10th Street and is operated by the Cultural Arts Coalition. For more information or to schedule an event, please contact NKwanda Jah at 352-372-0216. Learn more.