ROW Permitting

The City of Gainesville Code of Ordinances requires any person or entity wanting to obstruct a city right-of-way to obtain a permit from the Public Works Department. This includes but is not limited to temporarily obstructing vehicular or pedestrian traffic or any digging and/or excavation.

Utilities in Rights-of-Way: Any person, entity, or communications services provider wanting to install or maintain a communications facility in a city right-of-way is required to register  prior to applying for a permit. After successful registration, a Utilities in Rights-of-Way Permit must be obtained prior to any work in a city right-of-way.

Note: To install a driveway or schedule a driveway inspection, replace a roof, demolish an existing building, construct a new building, etc., please contact the Department of Sustainable Development at 352-334-5050 or  

Public Works Permit FAQs

When is a right-of-way permit required?

A permit is required for any temporary obstruction of a public right-of-way, including but not limited to, obstructions affecting the general movement of vehicular and/or pedestrian traffic.

What are the types of right-of-way permits?

Obstruction of Right-of-Way - permit for any temporary obstruction of the city's rights-of-way not related to utility work.

Utilities in Rights-of-Way - permit for utility work, including telecommunications, in the city’s rights-of-way.

Tree Removal - permits are issued by the Urban Forestry Program within the Public Works Department.  Email: or phone: 352-393-8171.

Driveway Permits - issued separately by the Building Inspection Department located in the Thomas Center, 306 NE 6th Avenue, Bldg. B., 1st Floor, Gainesville, Florida 32601; phone 352-334-5050.  


How do I apply for a right-of-way permit?

A completed right-of-way permit may be submitted via email (preferred), U.S. mail, or in person:
City of Gainesville
Public Works Department
405 NW 39th Avenue
Gainesville, FL 32609

When is Public Works staff available to discuss a permit?

The Public Works Department is open Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m to 5 p.m. Contact the Public Works Department at 352-334-5070 or send an email to to schedule a meeting.

How much does it cost to get a permit?

How long does it take to obtain a permit?

Public Works is committed to reviewing complete Right-of-Way Obstruction permit applications within fourteen (14) business days.  If the application includes a request for closure of parking spaces or placement of a crane in a public right-of-way, an additional seven days may be necessary for review.

What codes does the city use?

When can I begin work?

Work may begin upon receipt of an approved and  issued permit.  Construction work dates may be modified upon written request to the Public Works Department when submitted at least seven days prior to the permit’s start and/or end date


Is an inspection required?

Yes, all permits require a kick-off meeting before work may begin and a final inspection is required to complete the permit. The project is not legally complete until the permit passes final inspection.  Bonding will not be released until final acceptance inspection and maintenance bond is in  if required. Contact the Public Works Department at 352-334-5070 or to schedule a Right of Way or Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) inspection.

NOTE:  To schedule an inspection related to a Building Permit (i.e. driveway, silt fence, etc.), please contact the Building Department at 352-334-5050 or

Do right-of-way permits require a bond?

Yes.  Per city ordinance, the Public Works Director or designee shall determine the amount of security (i.e. deposit amount) based on the nature and extent of the right-of-way work to be completed.  Security can be in the form of a surety bond or letter of credit in favor of the City and must guarantee restoration of the right-of-way to the same or better condition that what existed upon the permit’s issuance.  The security must also pay for any damage to public property, as well as any trash or debris removal to be performed by the applicant.  An executed security agreement(PDF, 685KB)  is also required.