Gainesville's City Commission performs such duties as passing the city's budget, setting the millage rate and approving the ordinances and resolutions. The commissioners are responsible to the neighbors of Gainesville. The commission consists of seven members: four commissioners are elected from single member districts, two commissioners are elected at-large, and one member is elected as mayor. In the spring of 1998, Gainesville citizens voted for their first elected mayor in 72 years.
- ProfileHarvey Ward Jr. was first elected as Mayor of the City of Gainesville in November 2022. He was first elected as a district commissioner in March 2017 and then re-elected in 2020.
- ProfileDesmon Duncan-Walker is the daughter of Iris Duncan and George Walker, Jr., and the granddaughter of Collins and the late Gloria Chestnut-Duncan and the late George, Sr. and the late Alma McDonald-Walker.
- ProfileReina Saco was born in Santiago de Cuba in 1990. She and her family fled Cuba in 1994, and were held in a refugee camp until being paroled into the United States in 1995.
- ProfileA native of Tallahassee, Cynthia Moore Chestnut received her B.S. in Speech Pathology from Florida A & M University; M.S. in Speech Pathology from Florida State University and D.P.A. from Nova-Southeastern University in Public Administration.
- ProfileEd Book was first elected to the Gainesville City Commission in November 2022.
- ProfileCommissioner Casey Willits was elected in November 2022 to serve as the first District 3 commissioner with a full four-year term from January 2023 until January 2027.
- ProfileBryan Eastman was elected in August 2022 and began his term as the District 4 Commissioner in January 2023.
Looking to attend a City Commission Meeting? Take a look at our Neighbor's Guide to City Meetings for helpful information and tips:
Neighbors Guide to City Meetings(PDF, 293KB)
Gainesville City Commission
Please note that emails to the City Commission are public record and may be published to the internet.
Schedule a meeting with a member of the City Commission.
200 E. University Ave.
Gainesville, FL 32601
P.O. Box 490, Station 19