Facility & Park Reservations


PARK-RESERVATION-FORM-w-Chapter-18-007-revised.pdf(PDF, 812KB)

To rent one of our facilities, review and complete the facility reservation form and review the rental facility guidelines. Reservations are confirmed upon receipt of payment.

You may submit the complete reservation form:

  1. By fax: 352-334-3299
  2. By email:  PRCAreservations@gainesvillefl.gov.
  3. In person: Visit the Thomas Center, Building B, 3rd Floor, Office Number 307, located at 306 NE Sixth Ave., Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

For more information on rentals, please call 352-393-8538. Please review and complete the  facility information form and submit by fax (352-334-3299) or by email to PRCAreservations@gainesvillefl.gov.

Note: New fees effective Oct. 1, 2021. 

Birthday Party

We recommend if you are planning your child’s birthday party or a small gathering (30 people or fewer), that you arrive at your location of choice early and “claim” your spot. Submitting a park reservation form, although not required, can prove helpful. Our parks are highly used and host a large variety of events from birthday parties, family reunions, tournaments, weddings, awareness campaigns, fundraisers and 5-Ks.

Large Events


If your event includes any of the following, this is considered a large event and park reservation form(PDF, 812KB) is recommended:

  • an inflatable item (i.e., bounce house, bubble ball)
  • pony rides
  • large tents (bigger than 10x10) 
  • street closures
  • security

Please allow a minimum of two weeks for your park request to be processed. Additional documentation may be required once the park request is received and reviewed.

Special Events

If you plan to use city streets and/or sidewalks,  are requesting a noise permit, security and or food vendors you MUST complete a Special Event Permit application.


NOTE:  The park reservation process does not guarantee a pavilion or designated space for your group. Our intent is to encourage everyone to keep us informed on intended park usage to help alleviate conflicts. The parks and pavilions are used on a first-come, first-served basis.

Polystyrene Ban on City Property

On June 6, 2022, the City Commission approved new Zero Waste Ordinances for the City of Gainesville. Among these ordinances passed is the new Expanded Polystyrene Containers Ban on City Property. Expanded polystyrene (commonly known as Styrofoam®) containers include any plate, bowl, cup, container, lid, tray, cooler, ice chest, or similar item made of blown polystyrene and expanded and extruded foam material.

Effective Sept. 2, 2022, this ordinance prohibits the distribution of prepackaged food or beverages in expanded polystyrene by a permit holder on City of Gainesville property or on the City of Gainesville right-of-way. This ban includes all vendors (including city-owned and/or operated services) at city parks, golf courses, and buildings, as well as permitted events on city streets (e.g., fairs & festivals). City agencies are encouraged to begin modifying their operations and find alternative containers for use to comply with this ordinance.

For example, foam cups and trays can easily be replaced with eco-friendly food packaging products made of pulp fibers, sugarcane, or other biodegradable materials.

The city's goal is to minimize the use of these items by replacing them with reusable, recyclable, or compostable alternatives on city property and prevent foam products from entering and harming our environment

Recreation and Community Centers 

Eastside Community Center

2841 E. University Avenue
Phone: 352-334-2714

Eastside Community Center was made possible through an EDI-Special Project Grant from the US Department of Housing and Urban Development and funding from the Gainesville City Commission, the Alachua County Board of County Commission and the Greater Gainesville Park and Development Group, Inc. 1 baseball/softball field, 1 soccer field, 1 multipurpose field, 2 basketball courts and a playground surround the Recreation Center.

Fred Cone Park Track and Field at Eastside Community Center offers a state of the art eight-lane, competition-quality, 440-meter track with interior field, for pole vault, shot put, high jump and long jump. To reserve the track, a Park Reservation Form(PDF, 777KB) is required. Field lighting is available, fees apply. Track lighting is programmed for community usage from 6 am to dawn, and from dusk until 9 pm.

Two new basketball courts are located in the southeast portion of the park. The new restroom facility operates on timed locks, which open from 7 am to 9 pm, seven days a week.

Hours: Monday through Friday from 9 am to 6 pm. Facility rentals are available outside of normal business hours. Closed on City Observed Holidays.

Capacity: 200     Size: 8000 sq. ft.

Albert "Ray" Massey (Westside) Recreation Center


1001 NW 34th Street, 32605

Albert "Ray" Massey Westside Recreation Center was dedicated to the people of Gainesville in 1972. Surrounded by a beautiful park, racquetball courts, tennis and basketball courts, three full size baseball fields and 1.5 miles of shaded trails. 

Capacity: 204    Size: 8402 sq. ft.

Hours: Monday through Friday, from 9 am to 7 pm; Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm. Facility rentals are available outside of normal business hours. Closed on City Observed Holidays.

The H. Spurgeon Cherry (Westside Pool)(PDF, 186KB) is part of the Albert "Ray" Massey (Westside) Recreation Center Complex, for more information on the pool please see our Aquatics Section of the web page.

Thelma A. Boltin Center

Thelma Boltin Center

516 NE 2nd Avenue, 32601

Temporarily Closed

Originally built to serve as a USO Club, the City converted the Boltin Center into a multipurpose facility that serves seniors’ activities and special event gatherings of all types. Boltin features a stage and hardwood floor, as well as modern kitchen, bath and reception facilities.

Capacity: 343     Size: 12000 sq. ft. 

Hours: Monday through Friday, from 8 am to 5 pm. Facility rentals are available outside of normal business hours. Closed on City Observed Holidays.

Clarence R. Kelly Community Center


1700 NE 8th Avenue, 32641

Originally built as a storefront, this building was converted into a recreation center in 1977 and was referred to as the "Blue Center". The community needed a safe place for the children to play and a gathering area for adults to meet. Throughout the years, generations have used this facility and learned the true meaning of friendship.

Capacity: 50    Size: 1750 sq. ft. 

Hours: Monday through Friday 1 pm to 6 pm. Facility rentals are available outside of normal business hours. Closed on City Observed Holidays.

Martin Luther King Jr. Multipurpose Center

 Martin Luther King Jr. Multipurpose Center

1028 NE 14th Street 
352-334-5053, 352-393-8337 for gym questions.

Hours: Monday through Friday from 7 am to 9 pm; Saturday from 10 am to 7 pm; Sundays from 2 pm  to 6 pm. Facility rentals are available outside of normal business hours. Closed on City Observed Holidays.

Learn more about our Wellness Center Memberships

The Dwight H. Hunter Pool (Northeast) Pool(PDF, 85KB) is located in the same complex as the MLK Center, for more information on this pool please see our Aquatics Section of the web page.

T.B. McPherson Center

T.B. McPherson Center

1717 SE 15th Street, 32641

T.B. McPherson, a dedicated and brilliant teacher and coach, was appreciated by the City of Gainesville for his contributions to the growth and development of the City. He was known throughout the community as a coach, minister, teacher, recreation board member and civic leader. In 1969, because of his commitments, this recreation center was named in his honor.

Capacity: 156      Size: 5472 sq. ft. 

The Andrew Mickle Pool(PDF, 41KB) is part of the T.B. McPherson Complex, for more information on the pool please see the Aquatics Section of our web page.

Porters Community Center

 Porters Community Center

512 SW 2nd Terrace


Monday through Friday from 9 am to 6 pm. Facility rentals are available outside of normal business hours. Closed on City Observed Holidays.



Park Reservations

We receive countless inquiries regarding park usage and pavilion reservations. Our goal is to encourage everyone to keep us informed of intended park usage in order to alleviate conflicts by completing a park request form (PDF, 784KB)adding your event to our calendar. Please note: All groups planning events do not always contact us, as our parks and pavilions are public facilities and are used on a first-come, first-served basis and a conflict can still occur.

*Please be advised that no bounce houses are allowed in nature parks.

Inflatable Device (Water Inflatables are NOT allowed):  Insurance is required from the inflatable rental company with the City of Gainesville listed as the “additional insured,” in the minimum amount of $1,000,000. The date and park location of your event must be present on the proof of insurance in order for it to be valid.

Horse and Pony Rides:  A current Coggins report for each animal that will be on site is required, along with proof of liability insurance from the rental company with the City of Gainesville listed as the “additional insured,” in the minimum amount of $1,000,000.00. The date and park location of your event must be present on the proof of insurance in order for it to be valid.

Tents (larger than 10 x 10):  A tent permit must be submitted to the Building Inspection Department at the Thomas Center, Building B, 1st floor. Office Hours, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm. For questions regarding this process, please call 352-334-5050.

Clean-up Staff:  Once your park request has been received and processed, a cost estimate will be provided to you. If you accept the cost estimate, payment will be required prior to your event unless prior payment arrangements have been made. 

Special Event Permit, Noise Permit, GPD Officers, Street Closures:  If you plan to use city streets and/or sidewalks,  are requesting a noise permit, security and or food vendors you MUST complete a Special Event Permit application.

Pool Birthday Parties: Make your child's birthday special with our convenient and affordable pool party packages! Who doesn't want to make a splash on their special day? Learn more.

Swimming Pool Pavilion Rental: Booking a pavilion for a birthday party or special occasion? Learn more.

Field Reservations

Requirements for Ball Field/Multipurpose Field Rentals

  • Requests for the use of Ball fields/Multipurpose fields should be directed to the City of Gainesville Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Department at 352-393-8538. Reservations will occur on a first come, first served basis.
  • Ballfield lights are controlled remotely and require a permit and fee (minimum one week notice required).
  • Complete a Ballfield Reservation Form(PDF, 243KB). (link will be added for the attached ballfield reservation form)
  • Insurance is required. Certificate of Insurance must list the City of Gainesville as the “additional insured,” in the minimum amount of $1,000,000.00.  The City of Gainesville address needed is: 200 East University Avenue, Gainesville, FL 32601.
  • Applications must be submitted prior to the event. Submission and acceptance of this application does not automatically constitute approval of permit requests. A permit may be denied if any information provided in the application is deemed to be false or if an application does not comply with timeframes, deadlines, and requirements. 
  • Priority will be given to the City of Gainesville programs scheduling needs.
 Ballfield Costs  
 Football/Soccer Scratch Lining (Field Preparation)      $541.75
 Football/Soccer Trace Lining (Field Preparation) $193.50
 Baseball/Softball Game Prep for Outside Groups $121.75
Field Lighting Fee (Per 2 hours) $ 36.00

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where do I start?

A: You are welcome to visit the facility of interest during business hours, which vary for each location. 

Q: After I have chosen the facility I would like to rent, what must be done to secure my date?

A: A reservation is not complete until you have completed a facility use agreement and paid all applicable deposits. Your completed application and deposit must be submitted to Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs Administrative Office, 306 NE 6th Avenue, Building B, 3rd Floor, (Monday – Thursday; 8 a.m.-5 p.m.).

Q: How far in advance should I submit my application?

A: Applications may be submitted up to one year in advance, but not less than 14 days prior to the event. A completed application does not guarantee a permit will be issued for our event. You must meet all of your permit requirements and submit payment in full before your reservation is complete.

Q: When are my rental fees due?

A: Rental fees are due 14 days prior to the event. Applications submitted less than 14 days before the rental require payment in full (deposits and all rental fees). Payments by check will not be accepted less than 30 days prior to the rental.

Q: Do city employees receive a discount on facility rentals?

A: No, city employees do not receive a discount on facility rentals.

Q: Are the use of tables and chairs included in my rental cost?

A: Yes, the tables and chairs that are at each facility are available for use and are included in the rental fees. If there is a shortage of tables and chairs that are needed for your event, you are responsible for the cost and arranging of the extras that are needed.

Q: Can I bring in my own food or does it have to be catered?

A: You may bring in your own food; it does not have to be catered. However, food cannot be prepared on site. The kitchen appliances can be used to warm or keep prepared foods warm.

Q: What do I need if I want to have a teen dance or open party?

A: All teen related or open party rentals have to be concluded before dark and must receive prior approval by the Gainesville Police Department.

Q: What do I need to do if I plan on charging admission for my event?

A. This type of event is considered a Class I event and is available at a different rental rate.

Q: What do I need to do if I am requesting the fees to be waived for my event?

A. You will need to submit a letter to the department director requesting a fee waiver.

Q: Is a reservation needed to use a pavilion for a birthday party?

A. No, pavilion usage is received on a first-come, first-served basis (with the exception of Depot Park). However, we highly recommend that you complete a park request form to assist us in our efforts of avoiding possible conflicts or overbooking of events.

Q: What if I want to bring in a grill to the park?

A: Most of our parks have grills for use. If you are hosting a large event and desire to bring in your own grill, prior approval is necessary. Stipulations apply.

Q: How can I get a key to the gate, if I need to drive equipment in to the park for my reservation?

A: If it’s determined that access to the park is needed, a key will be issued to you.

Q: Are there power sources at the parks for public usage?

A: Power sources are not available in our parks with the exception of TB McPherson, Kiwanis and Albert Ray Massey. The outlets are locked and usage must be pre-arranged.

Q: Are there water sources at the parks for public usage?

A: No, there are no water sources, outside of drinking fountains, that are available for use.

Q: Are bounce houses and other inflatable devices allowed in the parks?

A: Bounce houses and other inflatable devises are allowed in our parks with prior approval. Inflatable water slides are not allowed. Generators are needed as there is no power at the parks. Proof of insurance is also required from the inflatable rental company.